Learn how the program works
We offer loans through our Additional Dwelling Unit Loan Program. The loans are interest-free and offer gap funding to eligible Boston homeowners who wish to create an ADU in their homes in the City of Boston.
- You might qualify to receive a loan up to $50,000 for an ADU project to owners of single-to three family homes.
- We base the amount of your loan on the estimated cost of the project.
- The loan has no monthly payments and does not become due until the owner sells, transfers ownership, or undertakes a cash-out refinance of the home.
For more program information, we created a:
GET YOUR INFO TOGETHER
- Check to make sure you are eligible for the ADU program.
- You'll need to get an ADU permit from the Inspectional Services Department (ISD) before you can receive an ADU loan.
- Prepare a description of your ADU.
- Take pictures of current space.
- Get a cost estimate.
- Create preliminary designs and drawings of your ADU.
MAIL US YOUR APPLICATION
You can send your completed application package to:
The Boston Home Center
43 Hawkins Street
Boston, MA 02114
FINISH THE PROJECT AND PAY YOUR LOANS
You will be contacted by a program manager who will assist you through the process.
We'll give you a commitment letter and schedule a loan closing, if we approve your loan. Once you have closed on the loan, you can sign an agreement with your contractor and they can get a building permit.
You’ll need to give us a final invoice from your contractor and a copy of your building permit. We’ll set up a final walkthrough to make sure all the work was done.
You have to pay us back based on the terms of the loan.